Monday, June 13, 2011

ELVES

Today's mythic creature set? -Elves-

definition-elf:
1. (in folklore) one of a class of preternatural beings, especially from mountainous regions, with magical powers, given to capricious and often mischievous interference in human affairs, and usually imagined to be a diminutive being in human form; sprite; fairy.
2. a diminutive person, especially a child.
3. a mischievous person, especially a child
 
     Elves have always been the old stand by for magic creatures.Akin to fairies and leprechons, gnomes and nymphs. Heavily used in advertising and "modern myth" Snap, Krackle, Pop, Santa's helpers, the Keeblers, etc.
     I however prefer the more Tolkeinesque imagery. Tall, slender, beautiful creatures with bows, arrows, fey magic, elvish language, and flowing locks of hair. My mind rejects the short cutesy little bastards on cereal boxes. Call them hob-goblins, gnomes, faeries, dwarves, or leprechons if you will but leave me my elegant elves. I just can't stand the mental image of  such contrast! Beautiful spiritual creatures....making cookies in a tree. I smell discord....and SMOKE (it would catch on fire people.)
     In my head the elves are all Tolkein's variety, braided hair, long bows, and lean grace. Can YOU see that working out well in a North Pole Workshop? Me neither. I love elvish mythology. From the lifestyle and habits, the stories, to the fictional language "elvish." And who wouldn't prefer this
(artwork on left by me. on right, credit and other goblydeegook goes to keebler and shit)
 
to this          
 

1 comment:

  1. "I smell discord....and SMOKE (it would catch on fire people.)"
    Love it! The contrast between the artwork is also quite nice. Could you imagine the Tolkien-esque elves in a war against, say, the Keeblers?

    ReplyDelete